Rep. Val Demings Joins Business, Civic, Community Leaders and Elected Officials in Urging Sens. Rubio and Scott to Support Bipartisan Immigration Solutions
Media is invited to cover in-person event which includes a press conference at 1 PM EST
ORLANDO, FL — Business, civic, community leaders and elected officials from Central Florida are urging Sens. Marco Rubio (R-FL) and Rick Scott (R-FL) to support bipartisan immigration solutions that expand the region’s workforce, bring certainty to families and employers, and help our economy roar back from the pandemic. The Florida Thriving! Orlando Business Immigration Roundtable will take place on Saturday, June 19 from 11:00 AM- 1:00 PM EST at the Hotel Meliá Orlando Celebration.
Press conference starts at 1 p.m. EST.
The event, convened by the Puerto Rican Chamber of Commerce of Central Florida and the IMPAC Fund (the Florida Chapter of the American Business Immigration Coalition) will feature Rep. Val Demings (D-FL), former Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-IL) and representatives of several chambers of commerce as well as Venezuelan leaders and immigration advocates. See speaker list below.
The diverse set of speakers will discuss the urgency of passing bipartisan immigration solutions that are essential for our economy and workforce. We will hear about how Dreamers, TPS Holders, and Farmworkers are contributing to our state’s most important industries and how our U.S. Senators Rubio and Scott can lead on legislation that can help Florida thrive. There are over 490,000 immigrants residing in Central Florida who pay over $3 billion in local, state, and federal taxes, and have a spending power of over $10 billion.
What: Florida Thriving! Orlando Business Immigration Roundtable
When: Saturday, June 19 from 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM EST (press conference starts at 1 PM)
Where: Hotel Meliá Orlando Celebration, 225 Celebration PL, Celebration, FL
Speakers / Participants include:
- Rep. Val Demings, CD-10
- Luis Gutierrez, Former Illinois U.S. Representative (D-IL)
- Rep. Daisy Morales, Florida House of Representatives, LD-48
- Johanna López, Orange County School Board Member, District 2; Executive Director, Alianza Center
- Luis M. Martinez, MBA, CDP – Deputy Manager of Multicultural Engagement & International Relations, City of Orlando
- Jorge Figueroa, President, Puerto Rican Chamber of Central Florida
- Rebecca Shi, Executive Director, American Business Immigration Coalition
- Kathy Bird Carvajal, Executive Director, IMPAC Fund (Florida Chapter of ABIC)
- William Diaz, Founder, Casa de Venezuela
- Cecilia Gonzalez, TPS Applicant
- Dr. Idler Bonhomme, Chairman, Greater Haitian American Chamber of Commerce-Orlando
- Maria Rodriguez, Executive Director, Florida Immigrant Coalition (FLIC)
- Yogesh Bharucha, Vice President, Indian American Business Association and Chamber
- Khalid Muneer, President, American Pakistani Chamber of Commerce Inc.
- Jay Shah, Chairman, The Indian American Chamber of Commerce of Metro Orlando (IACC)
- Jan Gautam, President & CEO, Interessant Hotel & Resort Management
- Marcos Vilar, Executive Director, Alianza for Progress
- Jared Nordlund, Florida State Director, UnidosUS
- Samuel Vilchez Santiago, President, Familias Presentes Movement
- Cramer Verde, Political Director, League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC)
IMPAC Fund is the Florida chapter of the American Business Immigration Coalition (ABIC) which promotes common sense immigration reform that advances economic competitiveness, provides companies with both the high-skilled and low-skilled talent they need, and allows the integration of immigrants into our economy as consumers, workers, entrepreneurs, and citizens. For more information go to impacfund.org.
The American Business Immigration Coalition (ABIC) promotes common sense immigration reform that advances economic competitiveness, provides companies with both the high-skilled and low-skilled talent they need, and allows the integration of immigrants into our economy as consumers, workers, entrepreneurs, and citizens.